Michael John Hunt’s figurative painting of Campo San Giacomo di Rialto in Venice featuring the historic church with its 15th century clock is seen by the viewer through the arches surrounding the square. The arches are in shadow and in the bottom left of the painting a man is seen sweeping the paving slabs.
The church is closely associated with the historic market, which can be seen on the other side of the square. It is housed under a canopy in front of the arches and the traders are asked to display their wares in an honest manner.
San Giacomo di Rialto is a peculiar church regardless of its age (originally built in 421 and rebuilt in 1152). It features a bell-gable instead of a traditional bell tower, and the large 24-hour clock with just one hand and a rotated quadrant, which puts noon on the left and midnight on the right. The church also features one of the last few remaining Gothic porticoes in Venice which is supported by five Gothic columns.
Although the other side of the square looks busy, in contrast the centre of the square – in full sunshine – has just a few people wandering around the drinking fountain.
Michael John Hunt
Acrylic on canvas
16″ x 30″